Home > Committee Minutes > Committee Minutes 4 November 2019

Islington Wharf Residents Association
Minutes of the meeting held on Monday 4 November  2019 

1 Attendees: 

Ian Forrester (IF)

Tim Gardner (TG)

Jonathan Isaacs (JI)

Claire Johnson (CJ)

Tracey Langford (TL)

James Needham (JN) Chair

Lee Pratt (LP) Revolution

Laura Walker (LW)  Revolution

2. Apologies:

Tim Jacomb, Susan Swientozielskyj, Anand Patel, Katherine Harrison

Agenda Item:

 
 

3. Minutes of the last meeting: Accepted and agreed as a true record.

 

4. Actions from last meeting:

  • Weekly meetings progress and outcomes progress: LP advised he is involved in these along with Tom & Emma. No developments of note to pass on to the committee. 

A1 – JN asked if any progress had been made on the Water Pumps which he had raised as a concern at the last meeting. JN raised that this is now peak period for the heating system to be used which will put additional strain on the system and could leave people without heating should something fail. No updates or progress at hand to provide updates at this point. Action – LW – Provide update


A2 – JN also informed Revolution of the noise coming from the car park, that he assumed was the emergency generator. Given this had been going all day why were they only now just aware? Investigation needs to be undertaken on costs of having it running, alerting, cause, future process etc. LP advised he would get Kingspan out to assess, who hold the maintenance contract for it. Action – LP

A3 – JI asked what was happening with the items in the car park that were supposed to be removed. Number of emails exchanged with Emma Wilson but nothing has happened. LP stated Caretaker and Resident had politely asked the contractor not to remove them. This was followed up by the office, to the resident. Contractor was supported to attend today but has not, as items still there. JI challenged that what’s the point of these meetings if simple items like this can not be resolved in over a month? Action – LW – To contact pest proof.


  • Updates: 

(i). Update from Waterside Places JN stated that he had seen the comms from WP explaining conversations are still happening but no update as yet. LW followed up with they were expecting another update on the 20th December, and they were hopeful to have completed the process before the end of the year.

(ii). Roof leak apartment 200: LP stated that Anand had been in contact with Wayne about replacement materials. TL challenged this and gave a brief update on the situation. JN re-read the actions from the previous meeting and asked if this had happened. TL stated no, Revolution stated it had but could not provide details to TL on what had happened, or what the proposed actions and details were. More transparency is needed here. Action – Revolution Provide list of actions (Project Plan) on this matter and work with those involved to tick them off. Blockers to be brought up to the committee weekly.
JN stated the progress on this was just not good enough. It has been months since the paving had been lifted and the fin investigated, and as a result of this work the water ingress issues had been greatly exacerbated. Correspondence and leadership was lacking on this matter and visits that were supposed to have taken place had been cancelled with little notice. Tom stated they had found the matching glass at the last meeting, the glass or proposals have not been presented, so what have revolution done in the last month to progress this matter? Action – Revolution – Explain

(iii). Roof block A – Full plan for the repair of this is with WP. LP stated that Schedule, Plan and costing is being discussed with Anand and WP this week and they will be communicating this out to those affected. JN asked to be copied in on this. Action – Revolution – Send out update
JN – Raised concerns that as with all the points so far actions on this matter appear to be very slow even making tiny steps forward. Given Christmas is right around the corner, this would likely delay further actual action (eg. getting a contractor in place and work started) unlikely before mid January. What additional damage will be done to the building and peoples apartments in that time. If it snows, the standing water is likely to have a much greater impact, why is the pace always so slow for each tiny action? Action – LW – Laura will provide an update by end of week, Even if it’s just informational. IF stated any information is better than nothing. 

(iv). Cladding – JN stated update from last meeting was -”final report should come in the next few days. The scaffolding is being paid for by WP and a decision for its removal will be made asap after the report has been reviewed”. JN asks why we STILL DO NOT HAVE THIS REPORT AFTER 5 MONTHS? LW advised she has not seen any report come in, but she will chase Tom. JN asked why do we again not know the status of this? 4 weeks wasted if the report has not been received or chased. This is affecting people’s ability to sell their apartments, and causing additional issues because of the crash decking. Action – Revolution LW to chase Tom.

IF pushes Revolution to commit to replying by the end of the week. JN agrees we need updates on all items by then. JN stated we shouldn’t have to Manage these actions as that is what we pay Revolution for, but nobody feels tangible steps are being made to move any of these things forward. TG states the committee have asked to be copied in multiple times to emails on a number of subjects to ensure actions are being taken. Nothing has materialised. Is this because of a blocker or because no action is being taken. LW says she will address this with Anand and Tom – Action – Revolution – LW

(v). Windows and solar heat gain – no movement on this. Decisions on what next will come in the report from WP after settlement with LOR.

(vi). Rockwool: TGr flagged up a surprising result in reference to the previous concerns about Rockwool [and its fire retardant properties if wet]. In short, the insulation material used in Islington Wharf is not Rockwool; it is called Kingspan. Committee members expressed disbelief on hearing this and questions were asked as to why so much time was previously spent on looking at this only to now hear the product is not Rockwool at all. No logical explanation could be given and TGr is now going to be looking at this within his project portfolio.

(v). Fire Safety: AP reiterated that the cladding at Islington Wharf poses no fire risk whatsoever and that Revolution are working with DFC, our fire safety experts, to ensure our continued compliance with all fire safety regulations.

JI asked about the charges for all of this additional work; AP stated that Revolution have not been charging for this.

  • Onsite log of contractor visits: LW informed that she has been working with Matt to set this up and there is now a system in place.
  • WP/LOR: Outcome of the settlement is awaited.
  • KONE: the current SLA states that if both lifts in block B fail, they will treat the incident as an entrapment and attend within one hour, and will ensure that at least one lift is up and running. LP agreed to work with the Committee on the final terms of the SLA. JN will lead on this. Action JN/LP
  • Lift dilapidation survey: is done and the report has been submitted to Revolution. They are meeting with KONE wc 11 November to discuss the works required. In addition, the survey done by British Engineering has also gone to KONE to factor in.
  • Schindler/Otis: the costs of repairing the lift in Block B currently stand at £5,500. Otis has accepted liability for these costs and Revolution will pursue everything else that comes out from the dilapidation survey accordingly.
  • KONE portal log-in details: in hand
  • Crash deck -  see 4c(iv). Also, JI flagged that some residents are complaining that access to block A is difficult. Revolution will ask the scaffolding company to assess. 
  • Garden: LW has asked Eric Wright for quotes to match up the fencing.
  • Lighting update: no progress.
  • Food waste: LW will chase the council to remove the food waste bin which is still in the bin store. Caddies to be returned to the office for recycling. Note needs to go out to residents about this. Action LW.
  • Welcome Pack: has been updated with the new car parking information. Hard copies on site for Matt or Colin to give out to new owners/tenants.
  • Block A shopfronts: Committee members are concerned about how shabby these now look and the car parking on the pavement is becoming a real safety issue. TGr is going to speak with the Council about how to impose alignment, ie that all shop fronts look the same. JI will also add Committee support to this by speaking with Ancoats local councillor. The shop frontages need a power wash and also, consideration needs to be given to the damaged cladding caused by shop owners drilling stuff into it etc. Revolution are also looking at installing the same type of large heavy planters and rocks – as can be seen outside the coffee shop and Domino’s Pizza further along Great Ancoats. CJ reminded everyone about the Council plans that were issued to residents in the area about the long term plans for improving the road and walkways etc. However, that said, it seems that this is not going to happen anytime soon if at all. The Committee want Revolution to work on this asap. Action Revolution.
  • Planters (internal): LW has asked our existing contractor to provide a brochure of options for fake plants.
  • Car Park: the leaseholder of the car park space that is being used to house plants and spray paint items, has been contacted to ensure the space is cleared out and not used for this purpose again.

On a separate note, the issue about people parking in spaces they don’t own was raised as significant and that a solution is needed in terms of ticketing. After a lengthy discussion it was agreed that the best solution is to go back to owners having a parking permit which must be displayed on their car windscreen. Cars illegally parked will then be ticketed. LW will lead on this process and residents will collect their permit from the IW office. Action LW.

  • Window cleaning: some but not all windows have been cleaned. Next cleaning will take place????

5. Click up actions from last meeting: JN has updated click up. Nothing   further to add.

6. Latent defects: See item 4c.

7. Health and Safety:

  1. Blue lights on the crash deck – need to be UV and not LED.
  2. Keep clear sign on entrance road – will be done in the next 2 weeks and Eric Wright will cover the cost.

8. Security: despite all security measures in place, thieves continue to get into the building and find ways to get past the maglock doors. After lengthy discussion on this topic, it was agreed that Revolution will revisit the cost of on-site patrols, potentially in partnership with other nearby developments. IF also asked again if remote monitoring of our CCTV could be considered as this might offer improved security and deterrent.

9. Questions from residents: none.

10. AOB:

  1. Christmas Tree – yes to be provided.
  2. Broken pump on the hot water system needs to be fixed. In the meantime, AP reassured the Committee that the system has enough capacity to cope with demand.
  3. Revolution out of hours contact :system is in place for major incidents.  1st on call – LW;  2nd on call – AP.
  4. Revolution requested the meeting agenda is issued well in advance of the meeting so that they can better respond. SS apologised for the lateness of this months agenda and will issue subsequent agendas with the minutes. 

Date and time of next meeting: 

Monday 2 December at 19.00hrs,
Medical Centre.