Ian Forrester (IF)
Jonathan Isaacs (JI)
Paul Kelly (PK)
James Needham (JN)
Tracey Langford (TL)
Wayne Langford (WL)
Paul Spence (Revolution)
Apologies: Suzan Swientozielkj, Katherine Harrison and Anand Patel (Revolution)
Minutes Last Meeting
- Accepted as a true recrod.
- Fire Alarm:
- Following the recent false fire alarm, all committee members agree that plastic covers should be fitted to the fire alarm break glass points on the floors throughout both blocks; the ground floor points are already protected. Although it has not been possible to identify the person/s who activated the recent false alarm, Revolution has confirmed it was activated at the garden entrance area and they have been able to identify residents who were in the area at the time. A number of committee members suggested that these people should be contacted and asked if they were aware of the incident. Revolution will consider this and respond accordingly. ACTION: REVOLUTION
- Further discussion held regarding fitting and kitting out of key cupboards to ensure that future fire crews are able to access critical areas and drop the bollards outside. James also suggested inc a floor map of the building as additional back up information to that of the crew. In addition, there needs to be a simple step by step guide on how to reset the system as the fire crew that attended did not know how to do this and an engineer had to be called out. The delay in resetting the system affected reactivation of lifts and hot water.
- GLASS SHATTERING ON BLOCK B:
- There is great concern following this incident especially as the true version of events as reported by eye witnesses in their statements and the response of ISIS as to what happened are not the same. The eye witnesses state that the glass fell in a large full shard and not in small pieces as per ISIS. The damage to the roof where the glass first landed also backs up what people saw fall. The incident has been reported to the Health and Safety Executive and a risk assessment has been made. Although this is not the first incident of glass breaking, it is the first time glass has fallen outside Islington Wharf and the safety of residents and pedestrians is paramount. Questions were tabled as to the legal responsibility in the event of a further incident as well as how to ensure the fabric of the building is sound.
- Tim set out the emergency response process in the event of a further incident:
- fencing and tape to cordon off the ground area
- plywood boarding available on site to be installed to the affected property on the inside
- notify Laing Oâ€™Rourke of the breakage and whether the glass is internal or external,
- activate repair/make safe response
- clear up the broken glass,
- notify insurer
these measures have been made clear to the â€˜out of hoursâ€™ service.
- James and other members raised the issue of timescales to repair and replace as a resident recently waited over 12 months for the broken window to be replaced. In addition to that, the glass could not be replaced like for like as the original glass used for Islington Wharf is no longer produced.
- In terms of covering costs, Revolution confirmed that all costs will be covered by the insurance, however, committee members raised concerns over the impact of this on premiums and excess for residents when these issues are not of our making. Revolution were asked to take this up with the insurer and report back.
- Jonathan also flagged that this is an ongoing issue in terms of latent defects and he has already provided over Â£60k of invoices to the insurer requesting review and refund.
- DISPOSABLE BBQ GRILLS:
- Committee has now had the quotes in for these and at over Â£40 each (inc VAT) they are expensive and therefore not a viable option. Noted that BBQ season is now coming to an end so there is time over the coming months to try and find a suitable alternative.
MATTERS TO DISCUSS WITH REVOLUTION
CCTV IN LIGHT OF FIRE ALARM:
- It was discussed whether or not having additional CCTV near the break glass points would further deter future events. It was decided that as this was a one off, it was not required at this stage.
ELECTRONIC NOTICE BOARDS:
- To recap, there were 3 options â€“ wireless, USB and interactive. Due to costs of the wireless (Â£150 per display per year rolling subscription) all agree that the most viable option is the USB, access to which is secured through a locked cover. Ian also flagged that there is a way to have the wifi benefit using USB so this can be sorted once the boards are in situ.
FIRE EXIT SIGNS AND COSTS:
- Costs for replacing the fire exit signs with higher spec has come in at >Â£3k so decided to replace only the signs in the public areas ie lobbies and garden. Revolution to order and arrange installation. ACTION: REVOLUTION
- Furniture for lobbies still to be chosen.
Wall edge protection, quote of Â£745 inc VAT accepted. Revolution to order and arrange installation. ACTION: REVOLUTION
Bikes store â€“ fee agreed at Â£10 per bike per year. Revolution will administer to process and allocate the spaces. There are c60 spaces available. However, if more are needed then there are other options that could be explored to install additional racks dependent on revenue generated to cover costs.
DRAINAGE ISSUE IN THE GARDEN:
- Action is still on going.
- Awaiting Costs
LIFTS IN BLOCK B:
- Awaiting breakdown report of the failure rate of the right hand lift in Block B. Also, replacement flooring and lift polishing are actions that are still outstanding. ACTION: REVOLUTION
- Not all plants have a water tray which needs to be actioned.Â ACTION: REVOLUTION
UPLIFT OF DECKING:
- Noted that a lot of the planks are lifting with nails sticking out and looking generally warped. Revolution is asked to review and price up for repair/replacement. ACTION: REVOLUTION
INDIVIDUAL BOILERÂ MAINTENANCE:
- Wayne raised this issue on behalf of resident Steven Swientozielskyj who has just had a major flood due to a worn gasket/washer in the boiler. Revolution are asked to consider installing an annual rolling programme of inspection to all apartments and starting with replacing these gasket/washer parts now, given that the boilers are all over 8 years old. Revolution has already started to look at this. ACTION: REVOLUTION
- Wayne tabled a brief discussion on possibilities of installing other types of renewable energy which was of interest to all present. Wayne to bring further details and give a brief presentation at the next meeting. ACTION: WL
- Jonathan asked if when an incident has occurred, if Revolution would automatically send a report so that the Committee can maintain an accurate record of issues related to ongoing latent defects, update the insurance company etc. ACTION: REVOLUTION
17th FLOOR CARPET:
- Tracey flagged that the carpets on the 17th floor are still very badly stained from previous flooding and asked if they can be cleaned or replaced. ACTION: REVOLUTION
MATTERS TO DISCUSS IN ISOLATION
- It would appear that we could continue to express our dissatisfaction but the reality is that things are unlikely to change. ISIS have completed their report, considered various solutions and continue to take no action. It would seem only appropriate that affected residents claim redress for damages. Wayne agreed to send photographs of the extensive damage ongoing within his apartment to Jonathan for inclusion in further correspondence on this issue.
- Following further discussion and with Revolution on this matter, the Constitution will be refreshed in January and there will be no fee to join. Residents will be informed as usual, and the offer will be made that if anyone wants to claim a retrospective refund, they can do so within 2 weeks of the notification.
- A small number of residents have expressed interest in joining the Committee. The process for application was agreed in that those interested should submit a written application expressing why they want to become a member and what skills and attributes they will bring. Ian will start this process and member applications to be discussed at the next meeting.
USE OF SLACK:
- Seems to be working out ok. Continue to use for now
IMPROVING OUR INTERNAL PROCESS/PROJECT MANAGEMENT:
- Jonathan flagged that due to his new job, he will have less time to give to committee business. All agreed that we need to put a better system in place for oversight and management purposes. All members asked to consider this and bring ideas/actions back to next meeting.
RESIDENTS COMMITTEE NIGHT OUT:
- James has put out a doodle poll for dates and venue.
Date Of Next Meeting: Tuesday, 4thÂ OCTOBER, 19:00